Monday, June 15, 2015

The Importance of Technology Education at the Elementary Level


The Importance of Technology Education at the Elementary Level

Finally, someone else is saying what I have been saying for two years!  OK, I know I am not the only one who feels this strongly about the issue, lots of people feel the same way, but I am happy to have found this video.  This is the first article or video that so closely aligns with what I have been trying to accomplish in my own building.  Only 2,000 people have watched this video on YouTube but hopefully after I start sharing it (to all 10 followers I  have) people will start listening.

The Importance of Technology Education at the Elementary Level


by 

Kasey Dirnberger



Three traits were chosen from Jason Ohler’s rubric to use in order to critique this story (each worth 10 points):
1.       Story Flow
2.       Research
3.       Media Application

1. Story Flow- Was it a quality story that made listeners lean forward and wonder what was going to happen next?
While this was a short talk, I do think it flowed nicely.  She made her points and statements and then offered a solution to her points and ended with a strong conclusion.  I was not on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next, but I did like that she didn’t just state the problems with a lack of technology in the classrooms, she offered up what she thinks we should do about it, be an advocate and speak up.

Score: 9

2.  Research- Was the story well researched?
There was not a lot of research in this talk; she was more speaking from personal experience.  I think that is fine to do since she seems to know what she is talking about, but more concrete evidence or facts would have been nice to see to support her claims.  Personally, I was ok without the research part because as I said before, this is something I have been advocating for throughout my young career. Everything she said about internet safety, online state testing, typing,  and kids only knowing how to play games on a computer is spot on and are issues administration needs to look more closely at as we move farther into the 21st century!

Score: 8

3. Media Application- Was the use of media appropriate, supportive of the story, balanced and well considered?
Her media presentation was simple and connected well to her talking points.  She had a good balance of text and pictures and was not reading from her slides.  One thing that might have made it more engaging was, as I said before, graphs or charts of research on her topic proving her points.  For example, maybe a graph of the schools in her district that do and don’t have technology classes or state wide data.

Score: 9

Overall: 26/30


Other Comments:  This is the first digital story I have been able to fine on my focal theme and I am so glad I found it.  Her talking points are literally everything I have been saying to my principal and anyone that will listen at school.  I feel so strongly about elementary kids learning more about how to safely and properly use technology that I won’t stop until we do something at my school to address the issue.   I wish more people would watch this short story and help spread the word! 

No comments:

Post a Comment